For this week, we’ll start with our usual review of the AmNews. Read (at least) one news — not sports or entertainment — story carefully and report to the class. Here are questions you should ask to think critically:
- Briefly summarize the key points of the story, highlighting relevant issues it raises.
- What is the effect on the Black community?
- How does it affect our work as organizers and how should we/our organizations respond?
- What solutions might we collectively come up with?
Read chapters 4 (“Consciousness and Power”) and 5 (“Self-Concept and Power”) in Amos Wilson’s Blueprint for Black Power that were originally scheduled for an earlier class.
Questions to think about as you read:
- How is power developed and transmitted socially and culturally?
- How does Wilson argue that these methods can be used by the Black community?
- What is the importance of consciousness to power?
- What relationship does Wilson draw between race, class, and institutional power in the US?
- What institutions does Wilson argue are the transmitters of power?
Also, if you haven’t yet picked out a place to do fieldwork each week, then send me an e-mail immediately, so we can get you placed somewhere since you’ll have to do some work to be able to complete the final projects for the class.