First, a big thanks to Mut Nfr KaRa and Mdut Sshr Ankh for their presentation and visit!
For this week, we’ll start with our usual review of the AmNews. Read (at least) one news–not sports or entertainment–story carefully and report to the class. Here are questions you should ask to think critically:
- Briefly summarize the story
- What is the effect on the Black community?
- How does it affect our work as organizers and how should we/our organizations respond?
- What solutions can we collectively come up with?
Read chapter 2: (“Organization and Ethnic Resources”) in Amos Wilson’s Blueprint for Black Power. You can skim the chapter intro, but pay special attention to his list of power resources on p. 28. Pay special attention to the following subsections:
- Organizations and Institutions as Power Sources
- Sources of Organizational Power
- Factors Affecting Group Power
- Organizing for Black Power
- The Afrikan American Nation Within a Nation
Think carefully about the points of strength Wilson suggests in having an organization and reflect on the current organization you’re with. Is it fully utilizing its strength and resources? What might they do differently?