For this week, we’ll start with our usual review of the AmNews. Read (at least) one news–not sports or entertainment–story carefully and report to the class. Here are questions you should ask to think critically:
- Briefly summarize the story
- What is the effect on the Black community?
- How does it affect our work as organizers and how should we/our organizations respond?
- What solutions can we collectively come up with?
Read Chapters 7 (“Class, Race, and Power in America”) and 8 (“Power Processes of the Ruling Class) in Amos Wilson’s Blueprint for Black Power.
Questions to think about as you read:
- How does race and social class connect, according to Wilson?
- What is the role of class consciousness?
- Pay close attention to the “Preparing for Power” subsection in chapter 7. What social institutions transmit power?
- What 4 processes does the ruling class use to dominate government?
- Pay close attention to the “Blacks and Government” section at the end of chapter 8