For February 28, Read chapters 4 (“Consciousness and Power”) and 5 (“Self-Concept and Power) in Amos Wilson’s Blueprint for Black Power. Focus primarily on chapter 4.
Presentation by Leah,
Cynthia, and Teressa
Questions to think about as you read:
- How is power developed and transmitted socially and culturally?
- How does Wilson argue that these methods can be used by the Black community?
- What is the importance of consciousness to power?
- What relationship does Wilson draw between race, class, and institutional power in the US?
- What institutions does Wilson argue are the transmitters of power?
- Discussion question: how might organizations and institutions you are involved in/have access to be useful in developing power?
After tonight’s meetings, you should have either developed a short list of choices for your fieldwork assignment or chosen a place. There will be an assignment coming up soon and you’ll have to be settled on a fieldwork assignment to complete it.
Announcements: Black community events coming up: