First, thanks to Sam Anderson for his talk on Black education for liberation this week! See more about Sam’s presentation at the National Black Education Agenda website
Note: all assignments have been posted on the assignments page if you’ve missed/misplaced any. The intro to your organization is due Thursday 4/18.
8 (“The Power Processes of the Ruling Class”) in Amos Wilson’s Blueprint for Black Power. (We’ll do chapter 9 on April 25th)
Presentation by: Jasmine and Chilee on Chapter 8
Questions to think about as you read:
What does Wilson mean by the ruling class?
- How does the ruling class use legislation to consolidate its power?
- What role do special interests and lobbyists play?
- What’s the “government within a government” and what’s its role?
- What relationship do Blacks have (as a group) to government process?
- The “Special Interest Process,” “Second Government Within a Government,” and “Blacks and Government” subsections of chapter 8
Think about this in relation to your chosen fieldwork assignment via their funding source and how it might impact their work if they’re getting grants from foundations.