For March 6, Read chapters 4 (“Consciousness and Power”) and 5 (“Self-Concept and Power) in Amos Wilson’s Blueprint for Black Power. Focus primarily on chapter 4.
Also see the Readings page for the presentation schedule. The group scheduled to present on 4/10 on chapter 9 has been shifted to 4/17
Presentation by Kenneth, Stephanie, Porsh, and Danielle.
Questions to think about as you read:
- How is power developed and transmitted socially and culturally?
- How does Wilson argue that these methods can be used by the Black community?
- What is the importance of consciousness to power?
- What relationship does Wilson draw between race, class, and institutional power in the US?
- What institutions does Wilson argue are the transmitters of power?
- Discussion question: how might organizations and institutions you are involved in/have access to be useful in developing power?
By now, you should have chosen a spot for your fieldwork assignment or be settling on a choice.