- We’re now meeting bi-monthly until the last 2 classes
- Look for an email from me to coordinate your fieldwork and for confirmation of your paired presentation
Highlights from 3/9 class:
- Signed up for in-class paired presentations
- Reviewed chapter 31 (Crisis of Leadership)
- Ideological leanings
- Critique of Black institutions/organizations
For Tuesday March 23, Read Chapter 7, “Class, Race, and Power in America” in Amos Wilson’s Blueprint for Black Power. Here are some questions to guide your reading:
- How does race and social class connect, according to Wilson?
- What is the role of class consciousness?
- Pay close attention to the “Preparing for Power” subsection in chapter 7. What social institutions transmit power?
- What 4 processes does the ruling class use to dominate government?
Think about the institutional structures that Wilson argues the ruling class uses to transmit power and how parallel structures could be created. Think about how this might apply to your organizations this semester. What are they doing (or could they do) to create structures to increase the Black community’s power in society? How might we want their approach to be different from that of the institutions that currently hold power?