8 (“The Power Processes of the Ruling Class”) in Amos Wilson’s Blueprint for Black Power for our 4/6 Zoom meeting.
Questions to think about as you read:
What does Wilson mean by the ruling class?
- How does the ruling class use legislation to consolidate its power?
- What role do special interests and lobbyists play?
- What’s the “government within a government” and what’s its role?
- What relationship do Blacks have (as a group) to government process?
- The “Special Interest Process,” “Second Government Within a Government,” and “Blacks and Government” subsections of chapter 8
Think about this in relation to your chosen fieldwork assignment via their funding source and how it might impact their work if they’re getting grants from foundations.
- The ASCAC (Association for the Study of Classical African Civilizations) Conference is happening via Zoom this year from April 9-17! It’s a conference of academics from across the country working in the field of Africana Studies with an African-centered focus and it also has very strong cultural and spiritual elements–so it’s not just people talking at you all day. You should strongly consider attending if you have any interest at all in graduate school, teaching, or are wondering “what else can I do with my Africana degree?” Details here.